Medical Experts

• Author
      • Nicole

Hi there.
        I was diagnosed with GBS in February 2020. GBS was likely following CMV infection. I am now 16weeks pregnant with my third child.
        Wanting guidance around receiving the flu and whooping cough vaccines which are recommended in the third trimester- this will be around 1 year post diagnosis.
        I have received flu vaccine every year (with the exception of 2020) with no issue and also whooping cough combined vaccine with both previous pregnancies.
        Please feel free to email me. I am a health professional myself so want to make the best informed decision for my family.

• Gareth Parry

Keymaster

Hi Nicole: According to the GBS Foundation International recommendations the only situation in which vaccination should be avoided is if the GBS was unequivocally triggered by a vaccination. In that case that specific vaccine, but not others, should be avoided. There is an equivocal recommendation that vaccines should be avoided for the 1st year following the acute event but that is really only if there has been poor recovery. The risk of having GBS following any vaccination is almost always outweighed by the risk of the infections against which you are being vaccinated. You should discuss this with your GP. Many vaccines carry a warning in their product information about their use in patients that have ever had GBS but that is a recommendation driven by fear of litigation rather than data.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this Question.