Medical Experts

• Author
      • ellen-kuiper

Keymaster

I was diagnosed with AIDP 10 months ago. Apart from fatigue, I feel I have recovered well.

I’ve recently been very unwell due to Covid and then an upper respiratory infection. Since a few days, the nerve pain and tingling have come back in my legs. It also feels like I’m wearing very tight stockings. I’m very anxious about having a possible recurrence.

I’m keeping an eye on the symptoms but at what point should I see a doctor? If the tingling and pain keeps up without experiencing any weakness, should I just take Pregabalin and wait and see? Or is the pain and tingling enough to warrant a visit to the doctor and not wait for it to possibly get worse?

During my first episode of GBS, I was told that it was a good thing that I had acted swiftly and got treatment early, which saved me from weeks of ICU treatment according to the neurologist.

I realise you’re not able to make any diagnosis through this platform but was just wondering if you have any advise or if there are others that have dealt with recurrences. I’d love to know their experiences too.

Thank you very much.

• Gareth Parry

Keymaster

It is very unlikely that your GBS has recurred but it is very important to seek medical advice for these symptoms. The most likely explanatrion is that you have a nonspecific recurrence of residual effects of the original episode which will subside as you recover from your recent COVID infection. A much less likely explanation is that you have the related condition, CIDP, that can sometimes closely resemble GBS at outset but go on to run a chronic or recurrent course. Let me reiterate, though, that it is important to get checked medically to ensure that nothing more ominous is going on.

• Gareth Parry

Keymaster

It is very unlikely that your GBS has recurred but it is very important to seek medical advice for these symptoms. The most likely explanatrion is that you have a nonspecific recurrence of residual effects of the original episode which will subside as you recover from your recent COVID infection. A much less likely explanation is that you have the related condition, CIDP, that can sometimes closely resemble GBS at outset but go on to run a chronic or recurrent course. Let me reiterate, though, that it is important to get checked medically to ensure that nothing more ominous is going on.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this Question.